Bell Tech W.G.E. use with "sissy" unix

Image Processing Center ipc at drexel.UUCP
Sun Oct 9 16:10:15 AEST 1988

In article <428 at eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> In article <438 at l5comp.UUCP> scotty at l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> >
> >Sanity check, can you even USE the W.G.E. card?
> >
> >That isn't as silly as it sounds. The driver supplied for the card maps
> >the 82786's registers into memory so they can be accessed rapidly and
> >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
> >nasty surprise!
Terry Hull writes

> I have a Xenix system and now that streams is available for it I was
> going to get the WGE card.  I have an Intel Inboard/386 with a cache.
> Since it has a mixture of 16 and 32 bit memory, it would be very slow
> without the cache.  Does this mean that I am doomed to no cache if I
> want to use the WGE?
> --
There should be absolutely no problem with the INBOARD, since the INBOARD
the ideal arrangement: The ending address for caching is set by switches
on the card. Typically, one sets them for the end of physical memory,
while dual ported and memory mapped registers are addressed above this.
I have checked this point out with INTEL technical support: the INBOARD
is completely compatible with cards like the W.G.E. because the cache
does not function above the end address.

Please post your results Terry - I'd realy like to know if you get
X up on XENIX. Are they offering V11 yet?