System V/AT v2.4 Impressions and Bug Report

Mark Zenier markz at ssc.UUCP
Sun Oct 30 05:28:23 AEST 1988

In article <319 at sdti.UUCP>, mjy at sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) writes:

> I haven't seen much activity here of late.  Has anyone installed the
> 2.4 upgrade to System V/AT?  Here are my impressions of it along with
> a few bug reports:

> 4.  Sometimes the keyboard locks up (scroll lock light on) and there
>     doesn't seem to be a way to free it up short of reset.  Even Ctrl-Alt-Del
>     stops working.  It's happened to me three times in four days, usually when
>     I've accidentally hit more than one key at a time while using CTRL-S
>     and CTRL-Q.  This never happened under 2.3, even though I wasn't
>     any better a typist back then!

The quick fix is to unplug the keyboard, because the microcontroller in the
keyboard is lost.  The long term fix is to get a keyboard with a faster
microcontroller.  The symptom I had was the the keyboard would lock up
under version 2.3 when I did flow control or hit the shift lock or num lock
too fast.  That problem went away with 2.4 but then the keyboard would
lock up when a string of backspaces was typed.  That was so irritating that
I bought another keyboard (My third).  This one ( a Maxiswitch) seem to
work.

Mark Zenier	uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz
"He did decide, though, that with more time and a great deal of mental effort,
he could probably turn the activity into an acceptable perversion"-Mick Farren