V/AT Text Preparation/Jetroff

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Mon Sep 19 11:12:54 AEST 1988

I made up the shareware jetroff package today and can report that
it is well worth the $50 contribution he asks for.  It appears to
do everything that was claimed and it gets along fine with the LJ-II.

I have encountered an anomaly with V/AT Text Preparation and jetroff.
When I try to produce the man pages that came with it or some of the
other I have the first part is omitted and the page starts with
SYNOPSIS.  It also occaisionally prints macros as though they were
part of the man page text.  I never saw this before because I could
never use troff before.  The symptom does not appear when I use nroff
so I ASSume that the macros are OK.  It also seems reasonable that
since jetroff is a post-processor, he's not lopping things off the front
or deciding that .RS is part of the text.  I suspect that troff might
be busted.

Has anyone used Microport V/AT troff to produce manual pages?  If so,
did they appear to come out right?  Which post-processor did you use?

I might add that I noticed some anomalies using the -mm macros (fixed
by changing some .I's to \fI) but the problem is most prevalent using
the -man macros.  Once the page gets going, other than the .RS, .IP,
and .B that creep in from time to time it works just fine.

Kudo's to Rick Richardson for working out such a useful tool.  Phooey's
to those that think he should give it away, it's a lot more than any
of us could do/get for $50.  You already spent over thirty times that
for your LJ-II.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill