Programs larger than real memory on an 80286 ???

Brian Chapman chapman at sco.COM
Wed Sep 14 04:10:33 AEST 1988

In article <1988Sep11.222005.14450 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods at gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:

< Mr. Geers' gripe is a legitimate one.  Apparently the 80286 has been able to
< support virtual memory systems, yet the 80286 OS designers chose to leave it
< out.  I would be interested in hearing why.

I asked the same question about 2 years ago when I read that
same section of the 80286 chip book.  I was told that there
was a chip bug where not all the instructions were restartable
when you got a "segment not present" fault.

I cannot be more exact that this.  I do not know which instructions
are not restartable and I have never seen anything in writting from
Intel admitting this error.
--
	Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman	UNIX Development