Pity the poor 286 folk

Andy Valencia vandys at hpindda.HP.COM
Sun Sep 25 06:32:57 AEST 1988

/ hpindda:comp.unix.microport / jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) /  9:07 pm  Sep 22, 1988 /
>...the fact is, the number of routines inside the
>kernel which are affected by paged out segments is probably very small.
>trap.c is probably the most affected, followed by various members of
>sys[1234].c and three or four others.

    This one seemed too topical for me--here I sit waiting for a build to
finish for a critical VM system bug which puts me on the critical path.
On a weekend.  When my wife is in San Francisco at a museum, having fun.
No, VM is not easy to do right.  It starts working, and then you stress it
just a bit and it breaks.  So you fix those, and write tests, and accidentally
stress it a bit in a different way.  And it breaks.  And once it starts
getting solid they start asking for more performance.  And you make it go
faster, but then it breaks on something else again.  No, VM systems are
pervasive, and hard to keep under tight control.  I respect uPort's move
(or rather, lack of a move) in this area.

					Andy Valencia