Buggy UUCP (was: Re: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Jon Zeeff zeeff at b-tech.UUCP
Mon Sep 5 00:06:07 AEST 1988

In article <173 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) writes:
>	Xenix (and I suspect many other Unixs) is stupid.  It doesn't
>know that tty1a and tty1A both refer to the same device.  If you look at
>the spool directory you will see the names of the lock files include
>the device name.  Because of the case dependancy uucico will not realize
>that they both are refering to the same device.

One solution is to use the same name (tty1a), but put one somewhere
other than /dev (let's say /dev/x/tty1a).  Programs can them refer to
/dev/tty1a or /dev/x/tty1a, depending on what they want to do.  The
lock files don't store the directory name, so it works fine.  Note that
this same trick solves some permission problems.  Getty and uucp reset the
permissions on a line that you might want to be r/w group staff.  Creating
another device with the same name works fine.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp at umix.cc.umich.edu