Can't backup to floppy

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 22:49:54 AEST 1988

In article <520 at penguin.UUCP> jac at penguin.UUCP (James Carter) writes:

|We have tried to install the MERGE/386 and Bell Tech's UNIX on a Compaq Deskpro
|system, and have discovered "we don't work with that tape drive" (quoted from
|a recent conversation with both the Bell Tech and Merge folks. According to
|them, they have never encountered the _standard_compaq_internal_tape_drive
|before. (Compaq must have sold thousands of them by now!) So now how does the
|end user do backups? (Not with the 360K floppy if you have at least 15M to
|copy!)
|
|So far, no answer on how it will be fixed...am I really the only one?

No, you are not the only one. I've posted a similiar comment to the net
a few weeks ago. It appears that Bell Tech does not support any of the
industry standard drives. What they do support is their own special
drive. This drive is very similiar to the QIC-36 standard. They even
use the standard QIC-02 interface board, but with some special roms.

Too bad you decided to use Bell  Tech instead of ISC or uport, as they
support more standard hardware (if limited, at least it is off the shelf
stuff that you can get at your neighbourhood hardware store).

I would recommend that you cut your losses now, and switch.

--
Larry Williamson  -- Focus Automation Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                       watmath!focsys!larry       (519) 746-4918