What is the "Two-Drive Bug"?

Sean McCollister sean at aquinas.UUCP
Sat Sep 10 03:10:27 AEST 1988

	Would someone please mail me a description of the so-called "two-
hard-drive bug" I've seen mentioned here in the past?  I never paid atten-
tion before, since I didn't have two hard disks.  Now that I DO have two
drives, and a migraine headache to go along with them, I'd like to hear
from those of you who have struggled to make a dual-disk configuration work
with Microport (System V/AT 2.3.0, with and without Merge 286).

	In a nutshell, my problem is that the first drive (whatever the
brand or model, I've tried several) literally seems to disintegrate over
a period of several weeks.  Bad tracks seem to materialize out of thin
air.  When I run fdisk to scan for bad tracks, it never picks up anything
but those listed on the error-map shipped with the disk.  Since I installed
the second disk, I have replaced the first drive 5 times, and the controller
and cables twice.  Through all this, the second disk has worked flawlessly.
BOTH drives work flawlessly if I remove UNIX (tm of AT&T) and format them
with DOS.  None of this happens when only one drive is present.

	Thanks in advance for any assistance.  If anyone else is interested
in what I find out, let me know and I'll summarize.

-Sean
sean at aquinas.UUCP
...killer!aquinas!sean