AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Thu Sep 1 08:31:43 AEST 1988

In article <176 at djs.UUCP>, samperi at djs.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) wrote:

> I've used AT&T's C compiler under Sys V Rel. 2 on a 3B2/300 since before
> Microport existed, and it has NEVER caused the system to panic when I run
> trivial programs that do some floating point operations.

Nor does the Microport compiler.  Microport has been guilty of quality
control lapses in the past, but this problem is solely Intel's.  The
latest step of the 80386 supposedly fixes this problem.  The compiler
has no control over it (well, I suppose you could do all x87 work in
kernel mode to guarantee that no paging could occur, but that is more
of an overall system design decision that a compiler issue).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746