process ids

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 07:13:52 AEST 1988

	I have a need to be able to identify the parent of a process
which is executing on the system.  The program which will be doing the
identification will not be either the owner, or even the same user.
However, it will have root privilages.  The idea is to be able to kill
an entire process group with one kill().  I know it's available
somewhere since ps is able to display it.

	I have found an include file	<sys/proc.h>	which apparently
is used by the system to keep track of this.  I can find no reference to
it in any manual I have looked in.

	Anybody have any ideas?

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	(Don't ask me, I only work here)
19 Virginia Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY   11570
uunet!ispi!jbayer