kill system call (was: Re: Buggy UUCP)

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Sep 27 05:49:13 AEST 1988

In article <8422 at bigtex.uucp> james at bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
| In article <430 at pigs.UUCP>, haugj at pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) wrote:
|
| > uuclean should still be set to remove LCK.. files that are more than
| > a few hours old so that LCK..<system> files will be deleted if they
| > are abandoned.
|
| uuclean should *>NOT<* remove LCK files unless the locking process is
| no longer active.  "a few hours" is certainly not long enough to
| ensure that the original process has gone away - I've had uucico
| sessions last upwards of eight hours (during news floods).

  As John says "if abandoned". I don't remember how or if uuclean
checks, but the "unlock" program I posted some time ago does just what
you say. I run it just before all scheduled executions of uucico, since
I had a problem with an old version of uucico which ocasionally just
"went away".
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)