uport questions

David Beckemeyer david at bdt.UUCP
Sat Sep 3 10:43:28 AEST 1988

In article <1172 at bellboy.UUCP> hack at bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
>If nothing else, I would suggest to uport that they hire a clerk to
>reply, "We acknowledge receipt of your mail. Will get back to you
>in another phase of the moon.".
>--
>Greg

I've received these "automated" replies from other companies (no names)
and while they are't much help, it's still a little better than nothing.
I doesn't even require  person, a program could generate the replies.

Much better would be an automated "bug reporting" system that could
parse subject lines of incoming E-mail to a specific user, perhaps
uport!bugs.   The subject line could contain the product (286/386)
and version number (or whatever else is necessary for uport), then
te messages could be added to a data-base with a confirmation mailed back
to the sender.   I know I'll get flames about how this would bring usenet
to its knees, but realistically I think this would work better than
the completely free-form method we're all using now to try report
problems and get them solved.  There could be a separate data-base
for "suggestions" (flames) and another for actual bugs.  This would
also mean that uport could publish the reported bugs, and their fixes
or work-arounds for everybody.   As it is now, many of the problems
I report to uport never appear on a bug-list anywhere.

I think if uport doesn't implement something like the above, we are
going to have to start posting bugs so we can all find our own
solutions and work-arounds which would be a lot worse on the net.
--
David Beckemeyer			|
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "Reckon the Ball's plumb open now,