Programs larger than real memory on an 80286 ???

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Fri Sep 16 06:54:52 AEST 1988

In article <249 at fsc2086.UUCP> jim at fsc2086.UUCP (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>However, unless the hardware bug several people mentioned (which inhibits
>restartable instructions) has still not been fixed, I believe that some form of
>virtual memory can be had with the 80286.  As several people have pointed out,
>it would probably not be worth the effort, but it cannot be said that it is
>impossible.

Even if the bug was fixed, it still would not be possible for a company to
implement "virtual" memory on a 286 for the simple reason that there is NO
way to insure that the customer who buys your software has a good version
of the CPU.  Most (All ?) the ATs shipped by IBM have a "bad" CPU - by
IBM's choice.

>James B. O'Connor		+1 615 821 4090 x651
>Filtration Sciences Corp.      UUCP:  uunet!fsc2086!jim

    -John Plocher