Problems with C compiler

gary mckenney gbm at gbmatl.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 00:53:08 AEST 1988

I've long since given up on my 286 microport for all the problems I encountered
with it.  (A never ending list).  But the main decision for giving it up dealt
with some code I was attempting to port over to it.  This code I have
successfully ported to XENIX 286,386, UNIX SYSTEM V on 386 (not microport's).

The problem occured in a complicated switch() statement.  When executing the
code every case: in the switch() I was able to execute but when I attempted
the default: then the jump that occured took me out where no man has gone
before.

In fact this occured in two switch statements.  I finally determined that
this was caused by the size within the switch statement alone.  I called
microport but they had no clue and requested a copy of the code.  I didn't
want to bother sending it to them.  I tried coming up with a simplified
version of the switch but I was unable to reproduce it.  And I know what
some of you are thinking that the problem had to be with the code.  Trust
me it wasn't.

Has anyone heard of similiar problems ?

What is the credibility of the 386 Microport UNIX compared to the 286?

gbm