2nd disk woes

Seth J. Bradley sjb at dalek.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 08:29:49 AEST 1988

I'd like to share some experiences I had last weekend
in case others have problems similar to mine.  I
recently observed massive corruption on my second
drive (which I use as /usr, /dev/dsk/1s2).  It is a
Seagate ST251.  After I got everything back, I did an
fsck and got disk errors and unreadable blocks.  I
did a backup and then bought Speedstor to check out the
disk.  This uncovered the sector that was causing the
hard errors, but after locking it out I still couldn't
get fsck to pass the new partition.  I kept gettting
cannot read or cannot write errors.  I finally found the
problem.  I had been using divvy to determine the size of
the partition.  If you have a single partition, divvy will
assign every available block on the disk to the partition.
I remembered something about System V needing the 1200 highest
numbered blocks for "housekeeping".  So I did a new mkfs with
the number of blocks reduced by 1200, and everything went fine!
I think Microport should change the divvy program.

P.S.  I lost two binaries, /usr/bin/checkeq and /usr/lib/lpget
when I did my backup.  Could anyone out there (especially Mport
people) tell me which floppies to extract these from and the
necessary cpio command?  Thanks in advance!

--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!lll-winken!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb