Pity the poor 286 folk

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Sep 27 04:47:59 AEST 1988

In article <2577 at swlabs.UUCP> jack at swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:

| What ever happened to the 386 that would plug into a 286 socket?  I remember
| seeing a description of it in the literature, yet the 386SX seems to have
| none of the qualities of the 80288 as it was called.  Is there another chip
| waiting in the wings (or has its wings been clipped)?  I suppose that a
| daughter board would probably do the trick, but my guess it would cost as
| much as a 80386 mother board.  Any further info?

  I believe that a duaghter board will be in the $200-400 range, with a
socket for the 80387. My rumor factory says that the 386SX has the same
problems with a 287 as the regular 386, and that use of the 387 will be
suggested for systems being used in protected mode.

  How about some info, vendors?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)