Programs larger than real memory on an 80286 ???

Andrew Valencia vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM
Tue Sep 13 02:04:24 AEST 1988

>Mr. Geers' gripe is a legitimate one.  Apparently the 80286 has been able to
>support virtual memory systems, yet the 80286 OS designers chose to leave it
>out.  I would be interested in hearing why.  Surely you all bought the Intel
>book I mentioned, I don't think I paid more than $20 dollars for it, and I
>was just a curious programmer.

    If memory serves (unlikely, but what the heck), there are generations of
the '286 which would corrupt certain registers when taking a "segment not
present" fault, thus making instruction restart impossible.  Perhaps someone
from Intel could give us the lineage of this bug (if any)?

					Andy