Support versus Bug Fixes (Was: Can't backup to floppy)

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 02:33:23 AEST 1988

In article <433 at l5comp.UUCP> scotty at l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes
(or should I say "flames") about Bell Technologies not supporting their
Unix.

I'm not gonna repeat his arguments here, but I would like to express my
feelings towards support, not only by Bell Technologies, but also by
Microport, or SCO, or anyone supplying Unix.

I don't understand why customers need a support-contract (available or not)
to get bugs fixed.

When you buy Unix you get a set of manuals explaining (briefly but rather
completely) what each program or routine should do and how to use it.

If one of the programs or routines do not do what the manual says it is
BROKEN. It means you did not get what you paid for and you should get a
bug-fix FOR FREE. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between getting bugs fixed
and getting support to get help with manuals you don't understand, or to
get the product to do something it is not intended to do right away, such
as adding new devices. If you want support, it sounds natural to me that
you have to pay for it. If you want bug-fixes you should get them for FREE.
If you buy a car xyz, and some people find out that all cars xyz have say
brakes that fail every 500 miles, the company will call-in all the cars xyz
and fix the problem for free. I see no reason why this should be different
for software.

Have you also noticed the kind of disclaimers you find on most software
products: "...makes no warranties, either express or implied, regarding the
enclosed computer software package, its merchandability or its fitness for
any particular purpose."
Know what this means? You just paid your money for NOTHING. If the floppies
are completely blank, we are not responsible. If you are able to use this
software at all, you are very lucky and we have nothing to do with it.

The only thing I can say about these kinda things is: never buy such software.
Compare the following part of a Sun license:
"Sun warrants that the Licensed Software shall substantially conform to its
users manual, as it exists at the date of delivery, for a ninety (90) days
from the date of delivery."
So at least you get something from them.

I have no experience with Bell Technologies, but if they do support
installation in the sense that you get your money back if the floppies are
bad, I don't think they have a leg to stand on when you discover bugs. The
manuals describe what the product should do, and if it doesn't, the floppies
did not contain the right information so you should at least get your money
back. The fact that your floppies contain exactly what they put on them does
not matter. They should contain programs that work.

I know that messages like mine are containing more and more noise and
less signal, but I wouldn't mind if all reader's of this group would express
their opininion, so that at least the vendors would be aware of the fact that
every license should cover free bug-fixes, and that this has nothing to do
with support!

Paul.	(This may not express my employer's opinion, but I hope it does
	express many others' opinion too)