Tape Backups for SV/AT

Dragos Ruiu ruiu at dragos.UUCP
Wed Sep 21 11:48:59 AEST 1988

   Does anyone have anything approaching drivers for a tape backup that
uses the second floppy drive as an interface?

   You see, I ordered another uport system for a computer I was setting
up. I wanted a tape backup system...

  me:	"Well, what tape drives do you support ?"
  uport:"We support Everex and Archive."
  me:	"Do you support all the archive line including their new Viper series?"
  uport:"Sure..."
  me:	"How much ?"
  uport:"$99"
  me:	"send me one..."

  So I went out and bought an Archive XL tape drive. The software comes and
guess what, only one model of the Archive line is supported. It needs a
60meg tape drive with a 499 (?) controller.
  Anybody wanna buy a tape drive ? Never Used ?

  I've never really had any big problems with uport. Actually, I've been
really impressed on several occasions. I hope they talk to their sales
guys though and tell them about this. Their tech support people certainly
do know about it.

  It strikes me that a driver that talks to a tape drive that looks like a
floppy should be easy. Can anyone help me ?

--
Dragos Ruiu  ruiu at dragos.UUCP    "We will probably never announce a processor
       ...alberta!dragos!ruiu    as a RISC processor."-Ken Olsen   ...wanna bet?