Support versus Bug Fixes (Was: Can't backup to floppy)

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sun Sep 25 05:46:45 AEST 1988

Ok, Dimitri and all others who followed up on my complaint regarding bug
fixes versus software support.

There is of course a good reason for not providing life-time free bug-fixes,
because that may turn out to be extremely expensive, and there also is a good
reason for not distinguishing support from bug-fixes because many customers
think they want a bug-fix whereas they really ask for support.

We have a long experience with some Unix-versions at our University.
When we found bugs we reported them to our distributor, and some time later
we got updates (not upgrades) and never paid a penny for them. (it did take
more than a few weeks usually, things don't move that fast between Europe and
the US). When I'm happy with my Unix, why should I pay for an upgrade with
some bug fixes and some new bugs introduced in new features, when all I want
is bug fixes in my (old) Unix? After all, we DO get messages on the net saying
"this command used to work in version X and no longer works in version
X+1, can anyone tell me why?"

I sent my flaming message because I noticed that many users of a Unix-without
bug-fixes-or-support do not know what they are getting into, and I still feel
that sales-people don't know what this kind of deal means either.

The fact that Bell-Technologies has a money-back guarantee is a very positive
aspect, and I hope they continue this policy, because people WILL realize
that this Unix doesn't work on their machine with 20 nonstandard components
and notice that BT will not support them, so hopefully BT will continue to
advise these customers to go buy another Unix which offers support.

Unfortunately, nothing prevents a new company from starting next month, beat
the best price by another $50 and offer essentially the same Unix without
any guarantee whatsoever.

I would not be unhappy with this cheap Unix at all, and I understand very well
that many other people who have access to the source of some Unix-version
(at their company or university...) can work around bugs by studying their
source, and maybe by replacing the broken programs or device drivers by their
own code. I have done so too in the past. But I would strongly advise against
buying any Unix without a minimal guarantee if you do not have access to
source code (for a related Unix system, need not be exactly the same).

It is exactly the "ordinary" person who wants to "give Unix a try" who will
all to easily go for the cheapest Unix and be very unhappy. I am affraid that
a company like Bell Technologies will not be able to make sure there retailers
WILL warn users about the limited guarantee and non-support of this Unix.
After all, this whole discussion started BECAUSE some people bought a Unix
without any support, and without being informed.

Paul.