Pity the poor 286 folk

Andrew ValenciaSeattle vandys at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Tue Sep 27 01:38:28 AEST 1988

/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / mann at intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) / 12:27 pm  Sep 23, 1988 /
In article <9695 at ico.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>...  I wanna run MS-word!
>"there is NO support for ANY kind of networking with V/AT!"

	Oh, come now.  It isn't THAT bad!  My wife is a writer and does just
fine on our AT.  Microemacs, configured to a 'T' for her, along with tpr
(which I hacked to give her the features she wanted) seems to carry a pro-
fessional writer pretty well.  If her formatting needs ever get too fancy
(she used to use Final Word II--she knows what she's missing, but doesn't
seem to care yet) I'll take a look at migrating her to TeX, troff, ditroff,
or something along those lines.  There seem to be a LOT of options, even
leaving out value-added sources like SCO's Lyrix package.

	I received an offer from uPort just a bit ago for a TCP/IP package.
I'm not saying it worked, but I am saying I saw one for sale.  For that
matter, I believe KA9Q's TCP/IP package works fine over 802.3, so there
might not be a need to go serial out of your AT.  Worth looking into.
Keep the faith!  The resources available for a UNIX box are enormous--but
sometimes they're a little hard to find.

					Good luck,
					Andy Valencia