Pity the poor 286 folk

Jack Bonn jack at swlabs.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 23:39:52 AEST 1988

In article <9695 at ico.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Sure, but that doesn't mean it costs as much as a 286 box today.  More to
>the point, a 386 box costs a lot of money and I already have a 286 box, so
>the 386 isn't of any help.  [This is me personally, not me as part of ISC!]

What ever happened to the 386 that would plug into a 286 socket?  I remember
seeing a description of it in the literature, yet the 386SX seems to have
none of the qualities of the 80288 as it was called.  Is there another chip
waiting in the wings (or has its wings been clipped)?  I suppose that a
daughter board would probably do the trick, but my guess it would cost as
much as a 80386 mother board.  Any further info?
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)