Pity the poor 286 folk

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Thu Sep 22 14:24:25 AEST 1988

John Plocher was following along the 286 virtual memory and virtual/real
bug discussion when he said:

> This is really moot, tho, because the 386 has none of these problems [but
> it has a few of its own], and a 386 box onow costs the same as a 286 system
> did a year ago...

Sure, but that doesn't mean it costs as much as a 286 box today.  More to
the point, a 386 box costs a lot of money and I already have a 286 box, so
the 386 isn't of any help.  [This is me personally, not me as part of ISC!]

I hope Microport isn't planning to leave 286 users out in the cold just
because the 386 is in vogue...there are a lot of 286 boxen out there
(aren't there? I hope?! hello?) which want a good UNIX.  Saying, "Hey, just
change the memory (and add some more) and change the processor/motherboard"
isn't a useful response.  I want to upgrade software (from 2.2.0!), not
hardware.

Of course, if somebody wants to trade me even, 286 for 386 motherboard, I'm
listening!
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Worst-case analysis must never begin with "No one would ever want..."