Programs larger than real memory on an 80286 ???

G. Geers [ext 3241] glenn at extro.ucc.su.oz
Thu Sep 8 15:29:19 AEST 1988

I am curious to know why Xenix 2.1.3 sets a maximum user process size
restriction (329 kb with 640 kb installed on an AT). This seems to indicate
to me that Xenix does not support the "advanced" features of the 80286 as
described in the "Advanced Features" chapter of the 80286 Programmers Manual.
Does microport also have this restriction ???
In particular, 'compress' (16 bit) has a bss of about 400 kb so will this
run on either microport or xenix on an 80286 machine with only 640 kb of
real memory ?
I know that the best solution is to get a 386 machine but we pay the same
price for a 286 as you guys (in the US) pay for the 386.

Anyway any info could either be put on the net (unix.xenix or unix.microport)
or mailed to me at the address given in the header.

			Thanks
				Glenn