Hard Disks for AT

Seth J. Bradley sjb at dalek.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 13:13:36 AEST 1988

In article <8198 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>ST 251-1. Do not buy the ST 251. The "-1" supposedly gives you a 28ms
>access time. What it really means is that you get the 40ms out of the
>ST 251-1 while the ordinary ST 251 is slower.

I disagree.  I have a system with a Seagate ST4051 and a ST251
(not ST251-1).  I just ran coretest on the two drives.  Coretest
is a DOS based drive performance test program that treats the
drives as raw devices.  It reads in a large block of data and
gives performance data.  Here is the results of the test I just
ran:

Drive 	Average Access	Transfer Rate 	Overall Performance

ST4051	38.1 ms		160.6 KB/Sec	2.398

ST251	38.4 ms		162.6 KB/Sec	2.399

Looks like the 251 stacks up well against the 4051 in
performance.  Don't know about reliability though.
--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!lll-winken!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb