Login problems with System V/386 3.0e

David Kozinn david at monymsys.uucp
Tue Aug 15 05:33:36 AEST 1989

In article <9632 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

>As far as I can tell, there is a a bug where /dev/tty doesn't always
>get set up correctly and /bin/login fails when it can't open it.  Non
>standard getty things seem to make it worse.  That's about all I know
>about this problem.

I had meant to post a follow-up on this (I thought I did, I'm pretty new to
netnews and might have messed up), but Jon is apparently correct. The problem
had to do with the tty not being set up correctly. Here's my current gettydefs
line for the tty in question:

2400H# B2400 # B2400 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #\nlogin: #1200H

This line does, indeed, work correctly and I haven't had any problems since I
put this in. Thanks to those who sent help.
--
UUCP:     {rutgers | uunet }!cbmvax!cgh!monymsys!david
Internet: monymsys!cgh!david at manta.pha.pa.us
GEnie:    D.KOZINN