life after death (of uport)

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.uucp
Fri Aug 11 09:03:29 AEST 1989

In article <6344 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
> In article <57 at calcite.UUCP> vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
> >A long note comparing 3.0e and 2.0.2 in which ISC is found acceptible:
>
> [ ... much text deleted ... ]
>
> >The ISC asy driver is better than uport's--DTR does the right thing; no
>
> This is a comment as well as a request for information. I find it odd that
> you say that the ISC asy driver is better than uport since I have not been
> able to get it to work properly at all. When using the driver and putting
> [....]
>
> Now the question I have is does anyone have any idea with what is wrong
> with the asy driver? I find it difficult to believe it is that broken.
> Is there a modem controlled minor that i don't know about or a configur-
> ation problem?? I have had a couple of cases of binary corruption in the
> ISC media, could that be the problem??  Any suggestions would be gladly
> received.

First off, you do not say which version of ISC 386/ix you are working
with.  The one described as being good is from 2.02.

Second, there is a modem control minor device, partially described in
asy(7).  RTFM :-)

Finally, yes, there was a bug in the earlier releases.  1.0.6 is
definitely broken, and I have no idea what 2.01 is like.  Presumably
2.01 has the new HDB with modem control features as well.  This
version of HDB works wonders on my 3b2, but we still suffer with 1.0.6
at work.  The trick there is to tie DCD high, and forget about
expecting a SIGHUP on loss of carrier.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]	+1-416-595-5425 [w]	Toronto, Ontario;  CANADA