svbinmail for uport 386 3.0xx

Adrian Miranda ade at kralc.UUCP
Wed Aug 9 15:48:52 AEST 1989

In article <1076 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes
> As i recall, both for smail(2.5) and for smail(3.1.x), i had to add the -s
> option (for specifying subject from the command line) to the getopt() call and
> the case statement that follows for it to work correctly on my uPort Sys V
> 386/3.0e system (as well as att unix, etc).
>
> I believe that was the only incompatibility and really, that was just a bug or

Yes, I just ran into the -s thing myself.  It appears easy enough to add the
-s option to svbinmail.c, but I'm still a bit worried.  If I type
/bin/lmail -gobbledygookandstrangeletters it will print out a usage message
which includes a lot of options which are not included in svbinmail.c (of
course I have only a release 2 manual, so I don't know what they do).
Does anyone know if these other options are ever used?

Also there is another problem with smail (2.5).  If I try to send mail
from an account with a restricted shell, the mail simply disappears, no
error message, no entry in /usr/spool/uucp/mail.log.  I haven't found a
mention of this in the any of the docs, though I'm haven't really looked
that hard.  I'm just hoping someone else will know.

Please send mail to me, I will summarize if appropriate.  By the way, if
I want to use Jon Zeefs' lmail, do I have to make any changes to smail,
perhaps undefine ALIAS or something like that?

Adrian Miranda
uunet!kralc!ade