life after death (of uport)

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Wed Aug 9 02:54:15 AEST 1989

In article <57 at calcite.UUCP> vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>A long note comparing 3.0e and 2.0.2 in which ISC is found acceptible:

[ ... much text deleted ... ]

>The ISC asy driver is better than uport's--DTR does the right thing; no
>lock-ups.  Watching a TB+ at 19.2 on a standard card hacked with 16550's in
>a 20MHz Everex convinced me ISC has worse worst-case interrupt latency than
>uport, causing the ISC asy driver to loose lots of characters, doing bad
>things to TB+/UUCP through put.  It's easy to hack Jim Murray's P.D. driver
>enough to fit, and it does much better, tho not as well as it did with
>3.0e.  This is evidence of ISC or new AT&T SVR3.2 interrupt latency bugs.

This is a comment as well as a request for information. I find it odd that
you say that the ISC asy driver is better than uport since I have not been
able to get it to work properly at all. When using the driver and putting
a getty on either tty00 or tty01 whenever the phone rings the damn thing
just cycles DTR off and back on and a new getty is spawned. I do not find
a driver that will never answer the phone to be terribly useful :-}. Of
course I can force DTR on using a modem dip switch but this is unacceptable
as well. I know it is not the gettydef entry (using 2400H) or the modem
settings since it works with the above mentioned PD driver. That driver
was fairly easy to port, the hardest part being figuring out the need for
the minor() macro. However when using it I would periodically get kernel
panics in tdrecint(). (I have 16450 UARTs). I don't know which is better
a driver that will not answer the phone or one which panics the
system when the phone rings :-} :-}!! My solution at the moment is to
run both modems on the ICC card, that driver seems to work fine.

Now the question I have is does anyone have any idea with what is wrong
with the asy driver? I find it difficult to believe it is that broken.
Is there a modem controlled minor that i don't know about or a configur-
ation problem?? I have had a couple of cases of binary corruption in the
ISC media, could that be the problem??  Any suggestions would be gladly
received.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu