Setkey problem...

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Wed Jan 4 03:17:45 AEST 1989

In article <1700002 at spdyne>, elwiz at spdyne..UUCP writes:

> Greetings,
>
>     I have sent this 8 ways to try to get it into uport... INCLUDING
> directly connecting to uport!  No response...

My guess is that are in fact not reaching a read account.  Are you using the
"techs" account or are you going direct?  Microport does reply to mail or
else they would see a lot more of this type of flame.  (Which was quite common
not all that long ago.)

>         1) Login on the console, type setkey f10 "echo hello^M"
>            Test this by hitting F10, and it will `echo hello'.
>         2) Login to a normal user account on Cons2.
>         3) Switch to the console and Hit F10.... Surprise! you get
>            <ESC>X or something....(an X echos)... it is as if you did
>            a setkey -d on the console!...
>      This seems to happen when you login to ANY of the consoles...a real pain
>      in the ... if you are expecting your function keys to do something
>      useful.
>     -- Chert Pellett

I feel (as apparently so does Microport) that an ioctl to one console device
should not affect ALL console devices.  (Just as NDELAY on ttys should affect
only the tty set with NDELAY and not all ttys or even all fds open to that tty.)

This behavior (albeit not exactly what you had in mind) is correct and should
stay the way it is.  (How difficult is it to simulate using what is correct
behavior to make things be the way you want?  My guess is a three line shell
script.)

Good luck.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave at ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll