Enix doesn't work with my 300 MB disk (*sigh*)

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.UUCP
Thu Jan 26 22:39:53 AEST 1989

In article <1966 at qiclab.UUCP>, neighorn at qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) writes:
> In article <381 at intek01.UUCP> mark at intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> >But I have a 380 MB ESDI drive (CDC 94186-383H + DTC 6280 controller)
> >with 1224 cylinders, and Enix only recognizes 1024.  Not only that, it
> >keeps bad a SECTOR table and not a bad TRACK table, and there can be
>
> My experience with SYS V Release 3.2 is that it won't support more than
> 1024 cylinders without doing some sort of logical sector remapping. Now
> there may be versions from certain vendors that do support > 1024 cylinders,
> but the Bell Technologies 3.2 I have used will not. Some ESDI controllers
> will allow you to convert 1224 cylinders x 15 heads x 36 sectors per track
> into 654 cylinders x 16 heads x 63 sectors per track. The Western Digital
> 1007 ESDI controller and the Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller both have this
> ability.

   Well I can't speak for all vendors, espacially ENIX since they were
nice enough to invoice me for a copy of the product, but I still haven't
recieved it as of yet (I love it :-). Anyway I have 338 meg PRIAM on a
20mhz 386 that was running under AT&T V/386 Release 3.2 with NO problem
at all. This drive has 1224 tracks and 15 heads, and I used NO sector
re-mapping. The install script liked to rap around after 1024 telling me
that the drive only had 198 tracks avalible in fdisk, but in reality
it all went fine. I also setup another V/386 Release 3.2 machine with
an RLL drive (Adaptec 2372 with NO sector remapping) that had 1156 tracks
avalible. This drive exibited the same symptoms as the ESDI install shown
above, yet in the end all was OK! I can't speak for all vendors 3.2
product, but so far I have been very plased with the way things are going.
I will give a first hand evaluation on ENIX if I ever get any REAL product,
which I better see if they want any REAL money!!

> Also, the number of bad sectors you reported for your drive is very high,
> even for a big ESDI drive. I complained when I got a Maxtor 4380 drive
> with just under 90 flaws. You might run into the problem with the disk
> scanner running out of slots regardless of what version of 3.2 Unix you
> get. You might try checking with your vendor about swapping the drive
> with one that has a few less errors. MSDOS doesn't care about errors,
> so they should be able to resell the drive.... Good luck!

 The PRIAM drive that I recieved had 33 flaws on it, and the 3.2 release
had no problems with this. I will assume that that is well below the
limit of 3.2 as I haven't run into that brick wall...