/dev/dsk for TWO fdisk partitions

Mark Zenier markz at ssc.UUCP
Mon Jan 9 07:16:47 AEST 1989

In article <228 at softop.UUCP>, jeff at softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
> I plan to purchase a 200M drive for a 286 based uPort system.
>
> 4 file systems on this drive is insufficient for my needs,
> so I wish to use fdisk to create 2 disk partitions, and then
> to divvy each partition into 4 filsys's.
>
> 1/	Will it work

No, you only can subpartition one partition.  You don't get the minor device
numbers for more than that.
I would attempt only 6 (or 7) filesystems on one disk.  Three (root, tmp, usr)
on the active partition, and one each one the other 3 (You only have 4 total)
inactive partitions.  I'm not sure putting a file system in the swap
subpartition is a good idea, and would be impossible on the first drive.

WARNING: Microport only knows what will happen to a bad block on an
inactive partition.

> 2/	What are the correct parameters for the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk
> 	special files that will be needed

See WN(7).  0s0, 0s2, 0s3, 0s[6789] (or 1s0, etc.). They should already
exist.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz at ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!