386/SX Chip

Anant Kartik Mithal akm at uoregon.uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 14 18:14:01 AEST 1989

I recently had the opportunity of using a NEC powermate with a 386SX, 16 MHz
and 2 MB of memory. On running Norton's SI (ver 3.00) on it (the only
software I could get: the machine uses 3.5" drives, and my software is
all 5.25") produced some strange results. Approximately half the time it
gave speeds of

	15.7 +/- .1

and the (approximately) other half it gave speeds of

	18.3 +/- .1

Can anyone explain this?

I also felt (gut feeling, coloured by the speed of the hard disk in the
machine, and I have no idea how fast that was) that the machine was not
particularly faster than my 12 MHz, 0 Wait State 286.