Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 13:05:10 AEST 1989

From: john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport
Subject: Re: System Crash
Date: 2 Jan 89 14:26:27 GMT

In article <1700004 at spdyne>, root at spdyne.UUCP writes:

> >> Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
> >> consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
> >> consoles?
> >>
> >     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
> >  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
>
>     Ok, So I executed `mknod cons4 c 5 4' Added a getty into the /etc/inittab
> and guess what? I got a bunch of errors on the console...about not
> being able to open it......
>
>     Do I have to bring the System down or what?

    You should not have to bring the system down. The only exception
to what you and I are doing is that I did not use the plain vanilla
kernel that came with the system. I immediately generated a kernel
with the Everex Tape driver, rebooted and then added the extra
consoles. I did not do anything in linkkit to enable them. It is
possible that the kernel which linkkit generates is slightly different
than the released one. All I then did was the mknod for each, enable
them in inittab, add them to gettydefs, and do an "init q". Try
"mkunix" and then use that kernel. Unless someone on here knows
specifically that the distribution kernel differs from the one linkkit
makes.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P