WD1006 1:1 disk controller

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tue Jan 31 01:01:37 AEST 1989

In article <19119 at santra.UUCP> hsu at kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:
>Environment:
>
>Logi 386 tower (singapore I think)
>Award 3.03a bios
>CDC 23ms 71M disk
>ST4096 80M disk
>Microport 2.2L Dosmerge 0.2 beta
>Problem:
>
>Disk controller hangs up. Usually on 4096, just few times on CDC.

Which WD1006 -- WD1006-WAH or WD1006-V/SR2?

>Checked already:
>
>Cables and 4096 switched two times.  CDC doesn't usually hang unless
>wery seldom after 4096 has been accessed just before.
>
>Diagnostics program doesn't find anything strange.

Not surprising the diags pass...

>Thoughts:
>
>Has anyone else tried 1006 with microport? Any similar experiences?

Nope, but I can tell you the WD1006-V/SR2 works flawlessly with:
	o Microport SV/AT
	o Interactive 386/ix V2.0 (but their install is BROKEN so be careful!)
	o SCO Xenix V/386 and Xenix V/286.
	o DOS (of course)

>Might be bad controller?

Perhaps....

>Would be nice if it worked, it really speeds it up, emacs loads in 10
>secs instead of 40 with 1003.

No kidding -- we get 400% speed improvements with these boards; ESPECIALLY
the /VSR2 type (RLL); they're really nice!

>Keyboard locks up only when using merge kernel, replug cures but is
>extremely annoying.

Perhaps the entire kernel is dying with the Merge system loaded; do you
have the same lockup problem on the drives if you run a non-merge kernel?

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"