Forwarding Mail (uucp forward file disappearing)

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.FSC.COM
Thu Jan 26 14:18:33 AEST 1989

In article <494 at fallst.UUCP>, tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

> What's strange is that uucp's mailbox (containing the same forwarding
> instructions) keeps disappearing.  It'll forward the mail to me ONE DAY,
> then stop.  The next time mail is generated, it gets sent to uucp
> (generally as output from uucp's administrative demons), it doesn't
> get forwarded.  (I'm running the uPort-distributed HDB UUCP.)
>
> Even stranger, the mail from the demons doesn't pile up over several
> days, as it ought to; each new day's worth appears to overwrite the
> mailbox file--and there's never more than one day's worth there.
>
> Any ideas?

Could be that /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean is poking around in there
some where.  Maybe even uuclean is doing it, but my man page for uuclean
doesn't mention anything about messing with uucp's mailbox.

I just checked /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean and look what I found:

#	Dispose of mail to uucp and nuucp
#
rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp $TMP

If your uudemon.clean is running daily from root's crontab, then
$MAILDIR/uucp is going to disappear no matter what.  If your using the
mail file to do forwarding, then it should be safe to comment out that
last line.

--jim