Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 07:18:18 AEST 1989

From: dbright at eta.unix.ETA.COM (David A. Bright)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport,comp.unix.xenix
Subject: Advice on 386 systems needed
Date: 7 Jan 89 17:54:09 GMT

I am considering the purchase of a 386 machine to replace my current
286 machine.  I would like to solicit all opinions on what machines
people might recommend or condemn.  My objective is to get a machine that
will run a 386 version of Unix (Microport, Interactive, Everex Enix, etc.)
and to get one at the least possible initial outlay of money.  I can
cannibalize my 286 for video (Hercules) and some memory, if need be.
Specific things I need to know about:  What motherboards are better than
others?  What BIOS is better than others?  What vendors are better than
others?

Secondly, I need the following in the Unix version I buy:
Tape drivers (I already have a Sysgen 4540 controller (QIC-36) and Wangtek
tape drive, but can't get it to work with Microport System V/AT 2.4, I suspect
that it is because the controller appears not to be interrupt-driven),
X-windows (maybe even with a Hercules driver?), and ability to support RLL,
SCSI, and/or ESDI disk drives.  I will also be glad to receive comments about
the various versions of Unix (I've heard of Enix, but not been able to locate
a vendor; any pointers?).

Thanks in advance to all those who will respond.  Please reply directly
to me, as I know this has been discussed before on the net and doesn't
need to be rehashed.

--
David A. Bright
910 W. Burke Avenue		dab at Bright.MN.ORG	(Home)