The right name for the 386 unix group

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.uu.net
Sun Jan 29 08:46:38 AEST 1989

There's a move afoot to create a group for users of AT-clone 386 boxes running
under UNIX. I think this is a good idea; I have thought there was a need for
this ever since I was recruited one of the original three co-moderators of
comp.unix.microport.

Previous similar proposals have all foundered amidst flame wars about the
right way to name things. This may happen again; I hope it doesn't.

The name 'comp.unix.i386' isn't good enough. Dave Mack was unnecessarily nasty
but he was right. We don't want the Roadrunner people here, not because we
dislike them but because the (large) constituency runs AT-bus machines and
bus structure is an important discriminator. In fact, given the state of
standardization efforts, it's *more* important than the vendor or UNIX flavor
(which is why names like comp.unix.sysv.i386.etcetera miss the point).

That suggests a solution. Call it

		comp.unix.at386

or (if we buy market-leader Compaq's terminology)

		comp.unix.isa386

I think the former is preferable, but could live with the latter. But let's
get a consensus on one of these!
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric at snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]