Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 21:28:23 AEST 1989

From: tim at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport,comp.unix.xenix
Subject: differences in Xenix and the rest
Date: 7 Jan 89 23:50:28 GMT

I am in the market for a Unix for a 386.  I was considering Microport,
but I have heard many bad things, and now they have raised their
prices.

I have looked into 386/ix and the rest of the version derived from the
base port done for AT&T by Intel/Interactive/etc.,etc.,etc.

I have decided that it is now time to consider Xenix.  I have several
questions:

1.  Now that SVR3.2 is out (with the Xenix merged stuff), is SCO Xenix
just another derivation from the same sources?

2.  Is the Xenix that Microsoft is selling just a repackaging of SCO
Xenix?  Are they up to date?

3.  If the answer to either of the two previous question is no, then
what are the differences?

Tim