Floppy formatting and using

Mark E. Mallett mem at zinn.MV.COM
Sun Jan 22 06:14:16 AEST 1989

In article <43 at ushiva.UUCP> raw at ushiva.UUCP (Roland Wilcher) writes:
%In article <639 at cimcor.mn.org> mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
%
%%I had the same problem (though not 9 out 10 times) making multivolume
%%backups nearly impossible.
%
%I also have this problem. Every time I have had this problem, when i
%reformat the disk using ms-dos, the dos format program always reports
%a few K in bad sectors. In order to do backups I have had to format
%the disks under ms-dos and only use those with no bad sectors.
%Looks like the uport stuff can't deal with bad sectors on the floppy.
%Also appears that the uport format program does not detect the bad
%sectors either.
%comments ?

Are you suggesting that the Microport floppy problem is with bad
sectors?  Bad sectors on floppies are extremely rare.  I expect that
when I find a floppy with a bad sector, I need to find another
floppy.  Problems with floppies on my SYS V/AT system are extremely
common.  Even so, I specifically stated in my original posting (the
reference to which seems to have gotten lost here :-) ) that I could
format and use the floppies under MSDOS.  So that's not it, I'm afraid.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett