System Crash

Brian Cuthie brian at cbw1.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 01:46:11 AEST 1989

In article <195 at wa3wbu.UUCP> john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>> >     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
>> >  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
>>
>>     Ok, So I executed `mknod cons4 c 5 4' Added a getty into the /etc/inittab
>> and guess what? I got a bunch of errors on the console...about not
>> being able to open it......
>>
>>     Do I have to bring the System down or what?
>>

>    You should not have to bring the system down. The only exception
>to what you and I are doing is that I did not use the plain vanilla
>kernel that came with the system. I immediately generated a kernel
>with the Everex Tape driver, rebooted and then added the extra
>consoles. I did not do anything in linkkit to enable them. It is
[...]

Use patch to look at a kernel variable called 'kd_numttys'.  I This
is (I think) the maximum number of virtual consoles.  It is set in the
linkkit to be 32.  It may however only be four in the distributed
version.

-brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian at umbc3.umd.edu