Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 21:01:14 AEST 1989

From: chasm at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport
Subject: Re: missing 384K on V/386
Date: 2 Jan 89 17:21:45 GMT
Sender: 0000-Admin(0000)

In article <1263 at altger.UUCP>, dirk at altger.UUCP (dirk) writes:
> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while now but I never saw the
> following question:
>
> 			Where did the 384K go ?
>
> If you install 2MB on a Compaq 386 you'll get 640K conventional memory
> and 1024K extended memory == 1664K. When booting 386/ix it reports
> 1703936 Bytes of real memory. So, where are they ?

The 384K of RAM that disappeared seems to be lurking at 0xE00000 (if I remem-
ber correctly) as normal RAM.  It can also be enabled with some granularity
(16K or perhaps 64K) in the 0x00A000-0x00FFFF range.  If you do not find it
at 0xE00000-0xE5FFFF, let me know and I will fish out the utility I wrote to
scan protected memory for such lumps of RAM.

> cu,
> dirk :-)

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm at killer.dallas.tx.us