Floppy formatting and using

Roland Wilcher raw at ushiva.UUCP
Mon Jan 23 11:21:43 AEST 1989

In article <439 at zinn.MV.COM> mem at zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:

>Are you suggesting that the Microport floppy problem is with bad
>sectors?  Bad sectors on floppies are extremely rare.  I expect that
>when I find a floppy with a bad sector, I need to find another
>floppy.  Problems with floppies on my SYS V/AT system are extremely
>common.  Even so, I specifically stated in my original posting (the
>reference to which seems to have gotten lost here :-) ) that I could
>format and use the floppies under MSDOS.  So that's not it, I'm afraid.

I beg to differ. I too can reformat the floppies and use them under dos.
But dos marks bad sectors in the File allocation table on the floppy
Unix format has no equivalant mechanism. I have these problems on
V/386 3.0e so it's not limited it seems to V/AT. I also had this same
foolishness on an AT&T 6386 running their System V 3.1 .

---
Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.         raw at neologic%hal.crwu.edu
                                                {hal,decvax}!ncoast!ushiva!raw
                                                             Roland A. Wilcher