386/SX Chip

John Mantey john at data.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 02:44:34 AEST 1989

	The 386SX is basically a subset of the 386 processor.  The SX does not
have as large an address space as the 386 (ie 24 bit address bus instead of
a 32 bit address bus).  This gives the 386sx an address capability of 16M of
physical ram as opposed to the 4G of the 386.  The SX only has a 16 bit data
bus, similar to the 286, instead of a 32 bit address bus.  This just means it
takes 2 data cycles to get data that a 386 would be able to get in one.
Other than that the two processors are the same.  Software written for the
sx will run unmodified on the 386, and software for the 386 that never tries
to access physical memory above 16M will work on the SX.
As to availability and cost, don't ask me,  cause I don't know.
						johnm