tape streamers question

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Tue Jan 3 09:01:59 AEST 1989

In article <379 at ispi.UUCP>, jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

[Quotations about Bell copy protection deleted]

> Unfortunately, Bell Technologies is practicing copy protection on
> Unix/Xenix.  By changing the PALS they ensure that only their software
> will work with their board, and that their board will only work with
> their software.  I found this out the hard way after SCO came out with
> direct support of the QIC-36 boards.  I now have a customer who is stuck

Not so! the PAL locks no one out ... you can run SCO just fine with our
boards using the built-in SCO drivers.  Just make sure to set the interrupts,
etc, correctly.  Note that SCO itself quotes Bell Tech boards as supported
streamer tape plug ins in the SCO documentation.

- dimitri rotow