286 serial port woes

Rolfe Tessem rolfe at w3vh.UU.NET
Sun Jan 15 23:17:04 AEST 1989

In article <11871 at netsys.COM>, len at netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
> I am evaluating V/AT 2.4 on an 8 mhz clone 286 with 1 meg
> of ram. Can't reliably sustain a uucp transfer at speeds
> greater than 2400 baud. The system is extremely slow ,and
> is virtually unusable with a 16 bit compress running in the
> background.

I have a Telebit Trailblazer, and regularly do 9600 baud
UUCP sessions with V/AT 2.3 on a 10 Mhz clone.  I do have 3
meg of RAM though, and I suspect that some of your performance
problems stem from the fact that 1 meg is the absolute
minimum the system will run with -- as you start adding
memory, performance increases dramatically.  Having said
that though, I'll agree that 16 bit compress is a drag on
the system, even with 3 meg installed.
--
UUCP:         uunet!w3vh!rolfe 			| Rolfe Tessem
INTERNET:     rolfe at w3vh.uu.net			| P.O. Box 793