Still more modem problems

Randy Menna menna at mips.COM
Fri Jan 13 12:10:14 AEST 1989

Thanks to all who responed to my original request for help, but
I'm still having problems.

I changed inittab to spawn getty on ttyM0 instead of uugetty.
The previos problem was that the modem would pick up the phone when
dailed into, but not talk.

Well, now the modem talks to the getty, just fine, well not quite just
fine but all the time.  The getty keeps trying to spawn a login, the
modems lights flash, it hangs up one the computer and does it again.

When I do a "ps", I either see a getty or a login running on ttyM0,
now I thought that getty whas supposed to wait for me to dial in
before spawning a login.

The serial port came with the compac 386, and seems to be a standard
one with a db-9 connector, I have an "Official IBM db9 to db25 Converter
cable" (don't ask) connecting the serial port to the modem.

Now I'm assuming that some signal is being sent to the modem from the
serial port that I don't want to send, but I don't know which one this
is.  I'm hoping that someone will tell me and I can disable it from
the modem end, since compac feels that the purposes of the dip switches
on it's board are a matter of national security and I don't have clearance.

Thanks in advance once again.

-Randy

--
Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	play: 408-991-0249