How does Microport System V/AT handle bad blocks?

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Wed Jan 4 00:00:16 AEST 1989

In article <798 at splut.UUCP> Jay Maynard writes:
>In article <211 at trevan.UUCP> trevor at trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
>>Well well I spent a whole week trying to sort my disks out and now it
>>turns out to be FSCK to be at fault. Microport does admit to there being
>>a problem but it says only with file systems greater tan 130000 blocks.
>>All my file systems are less than 100,000 blocks and I still get this
>>problem.

>I first encountered this problem on an 84K block filesystem. I spent a
>week with fsdb and fsck, using fsdb to straighten out the worst

With the default number of inodes the problem is rare or nonexistent
under 130000 blocks.  Mkfs will give you something like 13000 inodes
in that case, which is a little light for storing a full news feed.
If you run a 120000 block filesystem with say 20000 inodes it will
definitely trigger the bug, at least when sufficiently full.

[filler line, sorry.]
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289