Dropping DTR?

william vajk learn at igloo.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 23:49:25 AEST 1989

> >In article <362 at cocktrice.UUCP> mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:

> >>Does anyone have a fancy trick for lowering DTR going to a modem attached
> >>to tty0? I have my modem set up to auto answer, however there are times
> >>that I do not want the modem to answer the phone.

It is an easy matter to reset most modems to ignore auto answer. I only
buy modems which have S0 as a software settable function.

If someone is on the line when cron strikes get_off, there is at least
one PD pkill routine (kill process by name) that can be run as part of
a script called by cron.

If your modem has S0 writable, there's probably no good reason to
use dropping DTR as a means of locking out the system from incoming
calls.

Bill Vajk            |  Eventually SOMEBODY's going to put SOMETHING
learn at igloo          |  I SAY in a .sig.  -Allen Gwinn