CBS UNIX(tm) Manuals.

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 16:15:16 AEST 1989

In article <305 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <9427 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>
>>The release is not all that important.  Very little if anything in
>>the CBS manuals is incorrect for newer releases of UNIX System V;
>>it's merely incomplete.
>
>Release 3.2 is the merged UNIX/XENIX release, and Release 4 is supposed to
>be the merged USG/BSD/SUN release.
>
>When the CBS manuals were produced, release numbers were even less important
>than they are now, which is why they are not mentioned.

And then there's the Prentice Hall UNIX System V/386 series.  Only a couple
of months ago I made my final 'payment' to own the complete set.  I
can remember wondering if they expected these manuals to last through
all those releases.  I guessed that they would come out with addenda
volumes to describe the changes in 3.2 and maybe again in 4.0.

Boy, was I wrong!  There's a whole new set of manuals for System V/386,
*release 3.2*.  Same high prices, and I didn't see anything like an
upgrade for the original set.  I haven't even cracked open some of
the manuals and they're now obsolete!

Grrrr!

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2